Thursday, June 30, 2011

Die Spanische Hofreitschule

If you're not familiar, check out their website - http://www.srs.at/en/

The horses are gorgeous, their skills are great, but I happen to be allergic to horses. Now usually it's only an issue with my eyes swelling up, but if I take an antihistamine pill and use eyedrops, it's not an issue. Well imagine my surprise after watching 25 minutes of the Spanische Hofreitschule when I started coughing and wheezing. It was not fun! I immediately left, and now I'm back in Saarbrücken.

Anyway, it's pretty cool that the Spanische Hofreitschule is in Saarland. They are touring to only four cities in Europe - Brussels, London, Paris, and St. Wendel. The population of St. Wendel is probably less than one of Paris's arrondissements, but the Spanische Hofreitschule is performing there anyway. I think it is a big treat for Saarland, and I'm really happy that the three shows have been more or less sold out - about 2000 people per show! Also, with the number of people who have been calling on the telephone for tickets over the past few days, it has become a lot easier to understand folks on the telephone. I've even started to understand names without needing them to be spelled letter-by-letter -- that's a big deal for me! For some reason, I'm noticing I'm having trouble understanding men a lot more than women on the telephone...maybe it's because their voices are lower and so things sound a bit slurred together. I'm not sure.

But I can't wait to see what another month of being here does for my German skills!...even if the Spanische Hofreitschule almost killed me. Okay, that's clearly an exaggeration.

Bis später...

No comments:

Post a Comment